Osho

Osho

The Bard and a Rabbit Discuss Censorship

The Arden Dictionary of Shakespeare Quotations: Gift Edition (Arden Shakespeare) - William Shakespeare

Shakespeare: This was the most unkindest cut of all. (Julius Caesar 3.2.184, MARK ANTONY'S oration on the murder of Julius Caesar)

KillerRabbit hops up.

KillerRabbit: You sound upset, Shakespeare. What seems to be the problem?

Shakespeare: Seems, madam? Nay, it is. I know not 'seems' . (Hamlet 1.2.76, HAMLET TO GERTRUDE)

KillerRabbit: Let me guess, some reviewer called you a derogatory name, like Quean Quill, and you want to have their post deleted.

Shakespeare: What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet; (Romeo and Juliet 2.2.47-8, JULIET Capulet contemplating the unfortunate reality that Romeo is encumbered with the Montague surname)

KillerRabbit: Well if you're not offended by name calling, then what is the problem?

Shakespeare: Art made tongue tied by authority. (Sonnet 66.9)

KillerRabbit: Wait…are you upset about the censorship policy that's been instituted by the Amazon folks who now own goodreads?

Shakespeare: The demi-god, Authority. (Measure for Measure 1.2.120, CLAUDIO TO THE PROVOST)

KillerRabbit: I've been calling them Amazon Overlords, but I guess demi-god works, too. So you think we should do something about the censorship?

Shakespeare: If it were done, when 'tis done, then 'twere well it be done quickly. (Macbeth 1.7.1-2, MACBETH)

KillerRabbit: Rabbits are all about the now, buddy. What do you have in mind?

Shakespeare: Action is eloquence. (Coriolanus 3.2.6, VOLUMNIA)

KillerRabbit: Agreed. So far, I've written some protest reviews. I also created a shelf called 'Really Bad Egg Author', and put Mother Teresa on it.

Shakespeare: Though she be but little, she is fierce. (Midsummer Night's Dream 3.2.325, HELENA's retort )

KillerRabbit: People always underestimate the ferocity of rabbits. But to be honest, I'm not sure that protesting will make any difference.

Shakespeare: Every man's conscience is a thousand men. (Richard III 5.2.17, OXFORD TO COMPANIONS IN ARMS)

KillerRabbit: Yeah, I'm sure that's going to overwhelm the power of the Amazon Overlords. But the thing is, they haven't actually deleted any of my own reviews.

Shakespeare: A wretched soul bruised with adversity, we bid be quiet when we hear it cry; But were we burdened with like weight of pain, as much, or more, we should ourselves complain. (Comedy of Errors 2.1.34-7, ADRIANA TO LUCIANA)

KillerRabbit: Are you saying I'm a selfish, short-sighted swine if I don't do anything? That it's just a matter of time before this place becomes a totalitarian review-state like Amazon.com?

Shakespeare: One for all or all for one we gage. (Lucrece 144)

KillerRabbit: big ol' sigh Fine, I'll keep up the protesting.

Shakespeare: Was that not nobly done? Ay, and wisely too. (Macbeth 3.6.14 LENOX TO ANOTHER LORD)

KillerRabbit: Yeah, I'm super-noble. But I really don't think this plan is the wise choice. It's just a matter of time before the Overlords assign somebody to shush us. Maybe we should just leave to Booklikes.

Shakespeare: No! - I defy all counsel. (King John 3.3.23, CONSTANCE TO PHILIP, KING OF FRANCE)

sound of approaching footsteps

KillerRabbit: Run away! It's Kara from the Customer Care Department!