Osho

Osho

SPOILER ALERT!

The Cat in the Cradle (Loka Legends #1)

The Cat in the Cradle: Loka Legends - Jay Bell

This YA fantasy with a gay adolescent protagonist manages to do a pretty good job of fantasy as well as its coming of age theme. The hero needs to take the risk of acknowledging his love in order to fully find and use his magical powers. The fantasy elements hold together pretty well, though I didn't feel entirely identified with the main characters, perhaps because the narrative told rather than showed. A little sexist decision-making toward the end annoyed me, especially since the female oligarchs wielded considerable plot-changing power. It also struck me as too easy that

the villainous oligarch was the only person to denigrate Dylan's love.

(show spoiler)

Still, it's nice to see a matter-of-fact treatment of homoeroticism in a YA fantasy.