Osho

Osho

River Town: Two Years On The Yangtze - Peter Hessler Hessler, already a published travel writer in his late 20's, set out for a two-year stint in Sichuan as a college English literature instructor for the Peace Corps. Here he describes his two years and gradual acculturation. Hessler neither vilifies nor romanticizes the people with whom he interacts, and the result is a highly readable memoir/travelogue that includes both humor and insight. Read with Wang Gang's English: A Novel for a semi-fictionalized Chinese perspective on English teachers and rural life in the Uigher areas of China during the cultural revolution.