Osho

Osho

The Bandit Wind - Slavko Janevski,  Charles Simic (Translator),  Milne Holton (Introduction) Macedonia.An engaging collection of poems by Macedonian Slavko Janevski, generally better than many I've read recently because it's translated by the excellent poet Charles SimicMacedonia. A helpful introduction situates the poet in Macedonia's historical and geopolitical context. This is a dual language Macedonian-English collection, permitting an examination of Simic's translation with the original (and for the to find Russian-Macedonian cognates and loan words). Some notes on the poems follow their presentation. The poems themselves are generally vivid and imagistic, not pastoral, and quite visceral (literally--the last set is from a collection called "Anatomy"). An interesting and enjoyable collection.