Osho

Osho

Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide - Nicholas D. Kristof, Sheryl WuDunn A sweeping overview of the status of girls and women in the world. Filled with case examples (which the authors point out are more likely to engage people than statistics), but also interwoven with statistics and other more abstract data, this is a fast-paced but substantial introduction to social, medical, educational, and human rights inequities across multiple cultures. The focus, however, is on what works and what doesn't, some of which is surprising. With photos, case studies, and a good index, it is very readable and compelling. Because the content is often grim, it would be important to pair it with facilitated discussion in a classroom or book group.