Osho

Osho

Gregor and the Code of Claw - Suzanne  Collins I read this series in such quick succession that it makes sense to review them as a group. This is an easy to read, enjoyable series for middle readers. There are strong and somewhat gender-bent male and female protagonists (girls who fight and boys who nurture, for example). As would later be the case in the Hunger Games trilogy, Collins engages in successful world building, with elements of the story that would otherwise be horror catalyzed by humor to become a more benign fantasy. It's fruitful to compare this series to the Hunger Games books. Both feature missing fathers, younger sisters who need to be protected, and a hero caught in a cultural tangle with rules s/he doesn't understand and bigger forces at play. If I had them to read again, I'd read this series first to appreciate Collins's more mature voice and more adult themes in her young adult dystopia.