Osho

Osho

Star Trek - Alan Dean Foster Why yes, it is still my pleasure to read Star Trek novels. Sorry, ladies, I'm already taken.Foster has always been a more-than-serviceable translator of Star Trek to novel. What I enjoyed about this movie and novel was the story frame, which asserts the inevitability of the Star Trek TOS timeline. George Kirk, a victim of this timeline, may not see it this way, but from the perspective of the Trekker, important aspects of canon triumph over Nero's attempt to suppress it. That Spock is the witness to this bifurcation and rejoining is a nice echo of his status as a man between worlds and identities. The novel follows the movie reasonably closely, occasionally providing a glimpse of material that was probably edited or compressed. Without the diversion the movie's bright palette and fast action, the parallels between protagonists' life stories (for example, the losses experienced by Nero, Spock, and Kirk) are more evident. Better with the movie, but could hold its own as a book.