Osho

Osho

African Kings: Portraits of a Disappearing Era - Daniel Laine Recommended by Petra X. A large format, beautifully photographed collection of portraits of African kings. "King" is a misnomer as they're primarily clan heads and other group leaders, some titular and others actually powerful. The Introductory essay, "Origins of the African Kingdoms" by Pierre Alexandre, is dense but very useful for putting the portraits in context. It's also helpful for understanding the notes on each portrait, which are not well-organized. It's interesting to see similarities and differences in ceremonial garb, retinue, and other visual details. For example, several wear headpieces with strings of beads obscuring their faces. I'd have liked clearer commentary about how different groups and customs are related, and a map would have helped a lot.