Osho

Osho

The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet

The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet, A Novel - David Mitchell Outstanding! After two chapters, I picked up a copy of Mitchell's Cloud Atlas, and if I'd had more money I'd have picked up all of his books.I hardly know what to write about this meticulous, compelling novel. I'll leave plot summaries to previous reviewers. I loved the setup of the young Dutchman seeking his fortune in the mostly-closed Japanese trade, his generally less-than-savory companions, the peculiar doctor, and the Japanese midwife with an imperfect face. I loved watching the relationships develop, or fail to develop, including some seriously funny humiliations at the hands of the doctor and others. I loved how it slid into subtle then overt weirdness. I loved the language, descriptions, and emotional tones. I haven't read as pleasurable a novel in quite a while.