Osho

Osho

The Last Colony

The Last Colony - John Scalzi This third (or third.5, depending on how you count The Sagan Diary) installment of the Old Man's War series is in some ways less emotional and more action-packed. John Perry, wife Jane Sagan, adopted daughter Zoe, a dog who has no particular plot function and Zoe's two Obin escorts move to a new colony. Interstellar intrigue erupts for a variety of reasons and with a cascade of consequences. Some make more sense at the tie; some are elucidated later; a few still leave me puzzled; for example, if I'm suspicious of why the Colonial Union would leave damning metadata in a video, surely Jane would wonder as well. Ah, well. It moves right along and makes more sense than a lot of brain candy.Scalzi can over-rely a little on the device of having his characters know something the reader doesn't, a la the sitcom technique of Lucy leaning in to Ethel and saying, mad gleam in her eye, "So what we'll do is... Zoe's Tale approaches these events from Zoe's perspective. Since the last retelling I read was probably Midnight Sun's plodding recounting of Twilight from a dull and listless perspective, I'm looking forward to having Scalzi save the subgenre.