Osho

Osho

Specials (Uglies Trilogy, Book 3)

Specials - Scott Westerfeld Note to the publisher of the edition with a bloody razor blade on the cover: I would never, ever purchase something like that for an adolescent reader, or allow it out of the house if she brought it in.Sadly, this is the weakest of the trilogy. Again, Tally's brain is screwed with; again, her loyalties are divided; again, self-mutilation leads to enlightenment. I understand the physiology of this, but feel that Westerfeld lets it stand without adequate critique. Similarly, Tally's "special" body is grotesque but still described as if it's "cruel pretty." The ending has its entertaining moments but seems too easy, and I'm not convinced. I'm similarly not convinced that the Rusties would rather die than get out of their cars, which appears to be the explanation for why an oil-eating bug wrecked civilization. My recommendation, barring a fantastic 4th book, is to read the first and stop there.